Thursday, September 22, 2022

Saving Money by Cutting Out or Back on Paper Towels

I'd come to dread buying paper towels. The prices are ridiculous, and I don't want to get started on the outrageous fibs of "double" or "triple" rolls. I'm 63, those "double" rolls are the same size or even smaller than they used to be. So I decided to make a conscious effort to use a lot less, and did some reading up on the best substitutes. I bought a 12 pack of microfiber cloths in bright colors for $9.95, to use for wiping up spills, and wiping down counters, the sink, wet cleaning etc.. which are good sized, wring out and rinse well and dry fast. I also bought what are called bar mops, dish towel sized white terry cloths to use for drying hands and other similar jobs that requure absorbency in the kitchen (I wanted something other than the dish towels I use for drying dishes and pans), 2 packages of 6 bar mops each costing $6.95, both from Walmart. I dry them out after each use and launder them in hot water, detergent and Oxiclean, or sometimes white vinegar. I have used them for about a month and believe it's saved me almost $20. on what I used to spend on paper towels. . A neighbor who had cut out paper towels before me opted to buy a box of white cotton "rags" (they look roughly the size of large terry wash cloths) at a local paint/hardware store). She says she is happy with them.

3 comments:

  1. I hear you! Paper towels are not cheap. I have a few bar mops which I really like. I also have a little basket of flour sack towel that work for cleaning up messes or wiping down counters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary. This is an interesting post. I bought some cheap white terry cloth wash clothes that I have in my kitchen and use like napkins and paper towels. I've been doing this for a few years and I know it has saved us quite a bit. It's also environmentally friendly. I will be back to read your blog again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary,
    Just popping in to say hi and I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete